Meeting April agenda

The Annual Parish Meeting of the Lowca Parish will be held on Wednesday 21st April 2021 by Zoom meeting at 7.30pm and will be immediately followed by the April Lowca Parish Council meeting

as per agendas below.

Dear Parish Councillor,

You are summoned to attend the next meeting of Lowca Parish Council, as detailed above.

Annual Parish Meeting

1) Apologises

2) Chairman’s Report

3) Public participation, other organisations reports

Lowca Parish Council meeting agenda.

1.    Apologies

2.    Declarations of Interest

3.    To approve and accept the minutes of the last Lowca parish council meeting held on Wednesday 17th March 2021, as a true record.

4.    Public participation, 15 minutes allowed including clerks update

5.    Police matters.

6.    Applications for development.

7.    Matters concerning District and County Councillors.

8.    Millennium garden refurbishment update.

9.    Community questionnaire report, play area and BMX track update.

10. Lowca Lowdown, Easter addition feedback

11. Parish councillor vacancies

12. Progress Reports, clerk

13. Lowca councillors’ reports.

14. Correspondence.

15. Payments for approval.

16. Date and time of the next meeting Wednesday 19th May 2021, 7.30pm and it is a proposed physical meeting in Lowca Village Hall.

Signed

Mike Milner

Mike Milner, Clerk and RFO to Lowca Parish Council

15th April 2021

Email, lowcaparishclerk@gmail.com

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION. Current government legislation permits parish council meetings to be held by video conferencing until appropriate public gatherings are once again allowed. If a member of the public wishes to attend and participate at this meeting, then please CONTACT THE CLERK BY EMAIL AT LEAST 4 HOURS PRIOR TO THE MEETING TIME FOR DETAILS OF PROCEDURE AND MEETING LINK AND PASSWORD. Thank you for your understanding under current circumstances.

Documents

LOWCA PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting of the Lowca Parish held on Wednesday 21st April 2021 by Zoom meeting at 7.30pm and immediately followed by the April Lowca Parish Council meeting

Video link Meeting opened: – The clerk declared the meeting open at 7.30pm and invited the parish council chair Mercia Oliver to chair the meeting.

1077.00 Apologises for Absence. Cllr Mrs A Oliver

1078.00 Chairman’s report

1078.01 the parish council chair provided a brief summary of the past 12 months governed by Covid 19. There had been a village Christmas tree, the parish council had used a community social media page to remain in touch with residents. There had been a few issues with fly tipping and during freezing weather locals had made use of the grit bins provided by Copeland to keep footpaths and the bus stop area reasonably safe. The chair thanked the councillors for their individual responses to situations as they arose, excellent team effort.

1079.00 On behalf of the church Ruth Barwise acknowledged that the church had been basically shut as it conformed with government guidelines on public gatherings and social distancing and strict numbers for weddings or funerals which had been seriously restricted. It was hoped to resume mid-week services by the end of April.

The chair declared the Parish Annual Meeting closed at 7.37pm

Lowca parish council meeting held on Wednesday 21st April 2021

The chairman declared the meeting open at 7.37pm

Present: Cllrs Miss M Oliver (chair LPC), Mrs R Barwise, D Wrench, Miss K Thinnesen,         Ms L Tumelty-Harris.

Copeland Borough and Cumbria County Councillors: None present

Clerk: Mike Milner

Members of the public, none via video link.

1080.00 Apologises for Absence. Cllr Mrs A Oliver (LPC).

1081.00 Declaration of interest. None

1082.00 To approve and accept the minutes of the last meeting held on Wednesday 17th March 2021, as a true record.

1082.01 minutes approved as true record, clerk to sign as virtual meeting.

1083.00 Public Participation.

1083.01 no reports from last meeting and no members of the public at this virtual meeting.

1084.00 Police Matters.

1084.01 Clerk had circulated the e-newsletters issued by Cumbria Police.

Page 236 (1 of 4) signed chairman……………………………………………………19th May 2021

1085.00 Applications for Development.

1085.01 clerk confirmed no applications for development, however he had on 25th March 2021 made a written application for a Tree Preservation Order to cover the trees and hedgerow that run along the Lowca Beck and in front of the Woodlands Nursery.

1086.00 County and District Councillors Reports, none present.

1087.00 Millennium Garden refurbishment update.

1087.01 Cllr M O advised the councillors that she was in the process of obtaining 3 quotations to cover the work as discussed at the March 2021 parish council meeting. She should be in a position to present the quotations at the May meeting.

1087.02 Cllr M O did as an aside comment on the fact that all the daffodil flowers had gone, which Cllr R B also acknowledged that she had noticed. No flower heads in the garden so probably picked by children unaware of the fact it is illegal to pick wild flowers. Clerk to insert comment in Summer Lowdown however as bulbs the flowers will return next spring.

1088.00 Community questionnaire report, play area and BMX track update.

1088.01 Cllr K T had circulated and then collated the responses to the questionnaire to assess local support for the play area scheme. She had managed to obtain the previous quotations obtained for a similar project about 3 years ago and had asked the companies concerned to update their prices.

1088.02 Cllr K T would then be able to approach Copeland Community Funding to apply for a grant. Cllr M O offered to assist with that presentation format. Clerk to provide some other funding sources. On going project.

1089.00 Lowca Lowdown, Easter addition feedback.

1089.01 Cllr M O thanked all the councillors who helped distribute the latest edition. Cllr R B did the outlying farms and said it was interesting to meet the folk who you didn’t normally see and the Lowdown was a link to the community, for them.

1090.00 Parish Council Vacancy

1090.01 Cllrs agreed the need to bring the councillor numbers up to the maximum of 9 to ensure the greatest possible attendance and views at meetings and therefore would consider possible candidates for further discussion at the May council meeting.

1091.00 Progress reports, clerk

1091.01 Clerk confirmed that his request to Highways for the drains along the length of Lowca high road had been partly attended to. Those in the Copeland council area had been done, but those at the far end in Allerdale BC had not yet been cleaned and it those that flooded badly. Clerk did point out that they were not actually in Lowca parish but he would chase Highways to get them done.

1091.02 Cllr R B stated that there was a faulty drain or large hole after the work with 2 large cones over it. Clerk requested photograph and he would investigate with Highways.

1091.03 clerk confirmed that the waste calendar viewing details were in the noticeboard and also on the community social media page.

Page 237 (2 of 4) signed chairman……………………………………………………19th May 2021

1091.04 the clerk had used an online software link, costing £26.34, immediately after the last meeting and the parish laptop was now performing much better. He would monitor its performance. Windows 10 updates appeared to cause the problems with driver updates.

1091.05 All end of year accounts material was finally released by government auditors, 24th March and clerk had completed the year end accounts and they were with the internal auditor. The accounts would be presented at the May 2021 meeting.

1091.06 clerk to establish the size of a banner could be be fixed to the Lowca Christmas tree fencing, but it would not contain a year reference so reusable for future years.

1091.06 the van that had been in Solway Rd area and reported as fly tipping had been removed.

1091.07 the Parton clerk had forwarded a copy of the letter circulated to Criffel Rd area about the proposed parking changes, installation of dropped kerbs and hopefully the long-term reinstatement of the No 1 bus route down that road to and from its to trip between Whitehaven and Lowca.

1091.08 Clerk and chair were both trying to establish the whereabouts of the new Lowca sign at the Parton entrance side of the village.

1091.09 It was proposed that provided there were no additional restrictions the next Lowca meeting would be a physical meeting held in the village hall.

1091.10 clerk has reported the two damaged to coastal path information boards to Eric Barker at Copeland. One board on Wagon Way in Parton and Parton clerk has advised that board has already been reported.

1092.00 Lowca parish Councillors reports.

1092.01 Cllr D W advised that he had bought a camera for surveillance of areas subject to fly tipping. Movement sensitive activation. He was donating it to the parish. Clerk thanked him, but he would investigate data protection signage before the camera was installed.

1092.02 Cllr K T raised the issue of a bridleway which was not 1.5 mtr wide, and had a chain at either end, one of the chains being locked. Clerk requested that he was provided with a screen shot location map and images of the chains and padlocks and then he would report to the appropriate authority.

1092.03 Cllr R B had earlier in the day forwarded some pictures of the wall covered by ivy and a hedge by the speed humps. (clerk shared images via Zoom) Cllr R B proposed that the hedge and ivy were removed, as there was a wall with a splendid castellation top which could be a feature of the village entrance and also that area could become a wild flower meadow.

1092.04 Chair suggested having barrels planted with flowers, as they do at Distington. Clerk to contact Copeland Open Spaces Team about the project.

1092.05 Cllr R B also raised the issue of the Lonning between Solway Rd and Meadow View of who cut the grass in that area. It is normally Copeland, clerk advised.

1092.06 Chair raised the issue of there being a permanent gate across the drive way to the rugby club by the war memorial. It is something she is discussing with Copeland, as a similar gate across the old BMX track entrance stopped fly tipping and currently individuals are driving on to Lowca Brow via the ungated access and fly tipping large objects, out of sight. The rugby club are not objecting to the gate. Cllrs felt it would be best situated at the entrance by the memorial, clearly in public view, if anyone opened the gateway.

Page 238 (3 of 4) signed chairman……………………………………………………19th May 2021

1092.07 Chair raised the issue of having a Lengthsman, clerk had checked and could confirm that the village did have a shared Lengthsman with Parton, but the arrangement ceased in 2013. Cllrs agreed not to pursue the idea at this time.

1093.00 Correspondence.

1093.01 clerk had received the annual parish insurance renewal from Zurich Insurance, it is currently part of 5-year arrangement. Premium £620.87.

1093.02 clerk had also received the annual membership renewal for Calc and that was £199.63 which he recommended Cllrs to continue.

1093.03 clerk had received the ground maintenance invoice from Copeland for the April-June period, £181.62 inc VAT.

1093.04 HSBC have written to clerk advising that the parish council banking facility was to be subject to a security check. He had undergone 2 similar checks at other parishes, time consuming but it is to establish the account is not used for money laundering etc.

1093.05 clerk had received the Printpoint invoice for the Easter Lowdown, £128.00.

1094.00 Payments for approval

IntPay 200 M Milner, clerk, £316.16, salary £251.36, expenses £64.80.

IntPay 201 HMRC clerk’s PAYE £43.20p.

IntPay 202 Calc £199.63, annual membership subscription

IntPay 203 Copeland BC £181.62, 3-month grounds maintenance charge Apr-June.

IntPay 204 Zurich Insurance £620.87, annual parish council insurance.

IntPay 205 Printpoint £128.00, Easter edition of Lowca Lowdown.

All approved

1095.00 Date and time of next meeting Wednesday 19th May, 7.30pm and it is proposed to return to a physical meeting in Lowca village hall. 

Page 239 (4 of 4) signed chairman……………………………………………………19th May 2021