Meeting October Agenda

The next meeting of Lowca Parish Council  

will commence 7.30pm Wednesday 20th October 2021 at 7.30pm

in Lowca Village Hall.

Dear Parish Councillor,

You are summoned to attend the next meeting of Lowca Parish Council, as detailed above.

1.    Apologies

2.    Declarations of Interest

3.    To approve and accept the minutes of the last Lowca parish council meeting held on Wednesday 15th September 2021, as a true record.

4.    Public participation, 15 minutes allowed including clerks update

5.    Police Matters

6.    Matters concerning District and County Councillors

7.    Application for Development

8.    Receive and approve the audited half yearly accounts 1/4/2021-30/09/2021 accounts documents circulated with this agenda.

9.    Replacement Play Area equipment funding application update, Cllr K T.

10. Village Hall Management Committee, parish council representation.

11. HSBC bank account status, update by clerk.

12. Arrangements for November 14th Remembrance Day wreath laying at Lowca War Memorial. Participants. Wreath purchase by Parish Council.

13. Lowca Lowdown content for early December publication.

14. Lowca Christmas Tree display, tree, fencing and decorations and period of display. Obtaining a licence to use Copeland land.

15. East Road obsolete street light.

16. Progress report, clerk

17. Lowca parish councillor reports.

18. Correspondence.

19. Payments for approval.

20. Date and time of the next meeting Wednesday 17th November 2021, 7.30pm at Lowca Village Hall.

Signed

Mike Milner

Mike Milner, Clerk and RFO to Lowca Parish Council 15th October 2021

Email, lowcaparishclerk@gmail.com

Documents

LOWCA PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the parish council meeting held on Wednesday 20th Oct’ 2021 at Lowca Village Hall.

In the absence of the chair Cllr M O due to Covid isolation rules, Cllrs present agreed that Cllr Ruth Barwise would chair the meeting.

The acting chair declared the meeting open at 7.31pm.

Present: Cllrs Mrs R Barwise (acting chair), S McNee. S Southwell, K Thinnesen.

Copeland Borough and Cumbria County Councillors: Cllr D Banks (CBC).

Clerk: Mike Milner

Members of the public, none

1160.00 Apologises for Absence. Cllrs Miss M Oliver(chair), H Thinnesen, D Wrench

1161.00 Declaration of interest. None

1162.00 To approve and accept the minutes of the last meeting held on Wednesday 21st July 2021, as a true record.

1162.01 minutes approved as true record, and duly signed by chair.

1163.00 Public Participation.

1163.01 no reports from last meeting and no members of the public meeting present.

1164.00 Police Matters.

1164.01 Clerk had circulated the e-newsletters issued by Cumbria Police, no other reports.

1165.00 Matters concerning District and County Councillors.

1165.01 Cllr D B (CBC) was present and he provided a résumé of the current unitary council options, confirmed that CCC were seeking a judicial review and answered questions about the options. Acting Chair Cllr R B thanked him for his contribution and invited him to remain, an offer he accepted.

1166.00 Applications for Development.

1166.01 Prior to the meeting the clerk had circulated details of the application, 4/21/2418/0F1 submitted by Network Rail Structures Ltd for seawall reinforcement and repair 700m north west of Lowca. Cllrs all agreed that the continued safety of the rail track as part of the community infrastructure was of paramount importance and no objections to the application, clerk to advise accordingly.

1167.00 Receive and approve the audited half yearly accounts 1/4/2021-30/09/2021

1167.01 Clerk had circulated the accounts, he showed the auditors signed confirmation sheet and with no questions raised, accounts approved.

Page 255 (1 of 4) signed chairman…………………………………………………….17th November 2021

1168.00 Replacement Play Area equipment funding application update Cllr K T.

1168.01 Cllr K T advised Cllrs that she had started a funding application with the National Lottery Fund as well as approaching Copeland BC for funding. She had also had an email from the Copeland Open Spaces manager approving the proposed play area refurbishment, however he had questions about the use of the plastic grass matting across the entire play area surface.

1168.02 After a discussion Cllr K T to contact HAGS about alternative impact resistant surface options under and around the various items of equipment being proposed and revised costing where appropriate.

1168.03 clerk offered to help establish what was acceptable for legislation on play areas and what Open Spaces were actually stating as a preferred option in their opinion. There, as Cllr K T pointed out, is a potential substantial price increase with a change to the safety surfaces.

1168.04 Clerk congratulated Cllr K T on her diligence in getting the play area development application to this stage, a major step in the process. He confirmed he had read through her proposed application to the National Lottery, he had suggested a few changes, but he advised that before the final submission was made, he and Cllr K T would request Cllr R B to proof read the final submission, which she agreed to do.

1169.00 Village Hall Management Committee, parish council representation.

1169.01 unfortunately Cllr H T was absent from the meeting as was Cllr M O, both committee members.  Clerk had advised that he audited the past two years village hall management accounts and all was in order. However, the problem the village hall management committee had was they required a treasurer. Cllr S S offered his services to consider the treasurer’s position.

1169.02 Clerk to provide copies of recent ledgers and audit reports to Cllr S S and advise hall committee officers of the volunteer to act as treasurer.

1170.00 HSBC bank account status.

1170.01 clerk had still received no details on how to free the security lock, which was to have been posted to him, to enable further dialogue via the phone. Cllr K T to call at Cllr A O’s to see if she had unexplained HSBC correspondence. On-going issue.

1171.00 Arrangements for November 14th Remembrance Day wreath laying at Lowca War Memorial. Participants. Wreath purchase by Parish Council.

1171.01 Clerk had spoken to the usual source of the wreaths which are laid at the war memorial. He had ordered the usual 2 wreaths and he would reclaim the cost in his November expenses claim.

1171.02 Clerk will ensure that as arrangements are clarified they are made available for the Lowca social media page. The ceremony is as normal at 11am, clerk not sure if the school headmistress will be sending representatives from the school down on Thursday 11th at 11am.

1172.00 Lowca Lowdown content for early December publication.

1172.01 Clerk advised chair requested the Lowdown circulated at end of November as there is an Air Ambulance event on 4th December, in the village hall.

 

Page 256 (2 of 4) signed chairman…………………………………………………….17th November 2021

1172.02 Cllrs discussed with the clerk content. Clerk had discovered the parish council had come into existence in 1934, a trivia fact that ought to be shared. There should be a play area update, Cllr K T to ask the Rugby club if they had anything to report or Xmas arrangements to promote and clerk would do the same for Lowca Social Club. Cllr R B would provide a church update. The bridleway saga should be mentioned and also the iron bacteria in the play area footpath. Also, a comment about dog owners not following behind their dogs and clearing up. Clerk would attempt to get all articles together by middle of November and to the printers to meet the chairs distribution timetable.

1173.00 Lowca Christmas Tree display, tree, fencing and decorations and period of display. Obtaining a licence to use Copeland land.

1173.01 Clerk had obtained the necessary licence application form from Copeland and duly signed it and returned with all the appropriate documentation. He could not advise about the Christmas Tree as Cllr M O not present, but he would pursue the “Happy Christmas” banner now that he could meet suppliers face to face.

1174.00 East Road, replacement of obsolete street lamp.

1174.01 The chair had been approached by a resident in East Road about a redundant street lighting and a new one in its place. Clerk advised that the same resident had tackled him about the issue as he put the agenda in the East Road noticeboard. The clerk then reminded the Cllrs of Feb 2021 minute note 1056.04 when he had last dealt with the issue and he read the minute note out….

1056.04 Cllr R B raised the issue of East Road lighting and the missing lamp post. Clerk has already dealt with the issue directly with the lady in East Road. Street lighting is not required by government legislation and not an issue parish council should pursue. If the parish council were to put up one light or reinstate a light deemed beyond repair, at a current cost of £3k per post and light plus then ongoing annual electricity cost, it could potentially open the door for residents to request lights in various areas they perceived one necessary. An unmanageable financial commitment.

1174.02 Clerk considered the matter closed and if there is space in the next Lowdown, he will mention the light and its status.

1175.00 Progress reports, clerk

1175.01 Clerk reported he was still dealing with the Sustrans route 72 issue and had been contacted by Copeland Planning Officer Nick Hayhurst to arrange a meeting. Ongoing.

1175.02 following the last meeting, minute note 1155.04 refers, clerk had contacted Countryside Access team and had been provided with confirmation of an order made on 23rd November 2012 and confirmed on 18th September 2013 that the route now applied to bridleway 417013 was the legal PROW and any objections should have been made within 6 weeks of the confirmation date in September 2013.

1175.03 Cllrs still doubt the 1.2m supposed width of the metal bridge, but clerk advised a challenge would be, 8 years after the event, a major problem.

1175.04 Clerk had again reported the sinking drain outside the school Rainbow Gate and informed of a new job number E1/16089, but apart from being advised a Highway Team had been allocated, no further action. Cllrs advised various local residents have also reported the issue.

 Page 257 (3 of 4) signed chairman…………………………………………………17th November 2021

1176.00 Lowca parish Councillors reports.

1176.01 Cllr S M brought up the issue of dog muck on footpaths, and also the potholes on the road into Lowca from A595 past St Bridget’s. He will take pothole photos and submit to Highways reporting website facility.

1176.02 Cllr R B advised what her researches had discovered for Beck Bottom at Hensingham, a small community team had started the village gardening task and it had developed slowly over time. Clerk confirmed that as Lowca had its own insurance and bank account it could by pass the problems of creating a company for grants etc, also that CCC were currently offering parish councils grants to develop wilding projects. Clerk would contact the manager of the Cumbria Wildlife Trust organising the project and keep Cllrs advised.

1176.03 Cllr R B raised the issue of the end of Solway Road at its junction with East Road. Clerk advised that when the local nursery gained planning approval for the extension one of the conditions was on completion of the expansion, roads would have been inspected before the increased HGV traffic required to bring in the materials, then be assessed at the end of the project and the nursery should be responsible for repairs. Clerk to take the matter up with planning officer and also the potholes on the road past St Bridget’s as that stretch of road would have been subjected to HGV traffic to the construction site.

1177.00 Correspondence.

1177.01 Clerk had received an email about the water seepage across the path behind East Croft Terrace. He had resolved the issue, iron bacteria, no threat at all to public health or animals.

1177.02 Copeland had advised that litter picking equipment was available for delivery and collection and that email had been forwarded to Cllr D W as he had assumed the distribution point for such items.

1177.03 Circulated emails about the Geological Disposal Facility and Unitary Council updates.

1177.04 Received an invoice from Copeland to cover latest quarter of maintenance contract £181.62p.

1177.05 Invoice received from Simone Morgan for audit fees, final year end 2020/21 and the recent half year for 2021/22, both audits £30, invoice total £60.00.

1178.00 Payments for approval

IntPay 216 M Milner, clerk, £255.14, salary £227.24, expenses £27.90.

IntPay 217 HMRC clerk’s PAYE £37.20p.

IntPay 218 Simone Morgan, £60.00 two audit fees April and oct 2021.

IntPay 219 Copeland BC, £181.62, quarterly grounds maintenance charge as per contract.

All approved

1179.00 Date and time of next meeting Wednesday 17th November, 7.30pm in Lowca Village Hall.

Meeting closed 8.51pm

Page 258 (4 of 4) signed chairman…………………………………………………17th November 2021